Computer Science and Engineering


Undergraduate Student Readmission Information

The College of Engineering Student Affairs office is located in Bourns Hall A159.

Readmission to Major

Students wishing to change majors to CS, or who were dismissed from CS due to poor grades and wish to be readmitted, must demonstrate their committment to and aptitude for CS. This is generally accomplished by achieving a B- average or better in their most recently-taken CS, Math, and other related courses (typically about 20 units), with no grade less than a C. In some cases, especially for students who are freshmen or sophomores, those courses may be taken at other schools, including community colleges, or even UCR extension.

An exception to the above may be made for students previously dismissed from CS, who demonstrate that there were extreme outside circumstances affecting the student during the student's last quarters in the major (e.g., recent death in the family), that before those circumstances existed the student's performance was acceptable, and that those circumstances no longer exist.

The "burden of proof" lies with the student in these cases. Each student considering applying/reapplying for a CS degree should consider that the CS major at UCR is a serious and demanding engineering curriculum, requiring a firm committment to academics and an allocation of sufficient study time in order to successfully complete the program.

Petitions may be obtained from the College of Engineering Student Affairs office.


More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

Department Information

Department of Computer Science and Engineering
351 Winston Chung Hall

Tel: (951) 827-5639
Fax: (951) 827-4643