Welcome to UC Riverside!
Welcome incoming Computer Science graduate students to our new student resources page. This page was designed to consolidate and centralize information and resources that we feel will help with your transition to UC Riverside and our department as a new student. We are looking forward to having you join this fall.
Steps to Take After you Accept your Admission Offer...
1. SETUP YOUR UCR EMAIL
After you submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR), you will receive a confirmation letter with your Student ID and Net ID number. Log into R'Web, the student portal, and set-up your UCR R'Mail to start receiving important campus and graduate program information, registration, housing, fees, etc. All university correspondences will be sent to the UCR R'Mail and students are responsible for checking their account regularly. Visit the R’Mail – Access for Students ITS article for setup instructions.
2. R'WEB & TUITION/FEES
Familiarize yourself with R'Web because it is the online portal where students enroll, review student financial account information, make a payment, update contact information, setup direct deposit for non-payroll financial awards, and more!
Tuition and Fees: In regards to tuition and fees, a breakdown of the quarterly fees can be found here. Tuition and fees are assessed each quarter and depend on your residency status (international, non-resident, and resident status).
Visit UCR’s Housing Services website for more information regarding on-campus and off-campus housing options. It takes 2-3 days after accepting your offer through the graduate online application portal to reflect in the campus student information system.
UCR Housing Office - Information is available on both on and off-campus housing options. Please apply early.
Riverside Neighborhoods information from the City of Riverside
Riverside Apartment Finder
4. COMPLETE THE ONLINE STATEMENT OF LEGAL RESIDENCE (SLR)
All incoming students are required to file a Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) to determine whether resident or non-resident fees are charged. The form can be found online
5. SIGN UP FOR DIRECT DEPOSIT
1ST DIRECT DEPOSIT FORM (Fellowship/Stipend Deposits):
We encourage you to sign up for direct deposit to have your fellowship stipends, financial aid or any other student refunds deposited electronically into your personal bank or credit union account. You can enroll for direct deposit via R'Web. It's free, fast, and reliable. Learn more from Student Business Services.
2ND DIRECT DEPOSIT FORM (TA/GSR Employment Payroll)
If your financial award package includes a TA/GSR appointment in the first quarter, you will need to complete a set of personnel forms in your department's payroll office. Your Student Services Advisor will notify you later in the summer about this process. Otherwise, the payroll forms can be completed in the quarter before your first employment appointment.
6. GLACIER PAPERWORK (International Students only)
All international students must complete their tax withholding documentation via GLACIER as soon as they receive their login information. You must complete this paperwork in order for all fellowship stipends to disburse. You should receive this information via email in mid to late summer. Please contact Elena Valdez in Accounting with any questions you may have. She can be reached at email@example.com.
7. UC IMMUNIZATION POLICY
All incoming students will be required to submit immunization records to UCR Student Health Services (SHS) to enroll in classes for your first quarter. Please visit the SHS Immunization Requirements page to read more about these requirements and the next steps you will need to take to remove this registration hold on your account.
8. SUBMITTING OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS
Graduate Admissions Transcripts for Admitted Students page for acceptable delivery methods for required documents. Any financial assistance (awards, fellowships, loan credits, etc.) will NOT be credited against fees until you have enrolled in the required units.
9. UPDATING YOUR CONTACT INFORMATION
Graduate students should enter updates to their personal contact information through R'Web self-service. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact your academic department office or the Graduate Admissions office by email.
10. DEPARTMENT NEWS
Stay up to date on our department’s latest news stories through our website, Facebook, and twitter pages.
Things to Do Later this Summer…
REGISTERING FOR CLASSES
The new student enrollment period for Fall 2023 is August 21, 2023 to October 13, 2023.
CSE Graduate Advisors will be hosting an information session regarding course registration on Wednesday, August 16. More information will be sent as that date approaches.
- Enrollment period for new students begins on August 21, 2023 and ends on October 13, 2023. Additional deadlines are posted on the UCR Academic Calendar webpage.
- All new students will be given permission to enroll in courses by the Program Coordinator once the Fall 2023: Course Enrollment For CS/CEN Graduate Students Form (Form will open in August) is submitted.
- All holds must be removed before students can enroll in courses. Holds cannot be removed by the Computer Science Department. Please contact the office that placed the hold on your record to have the hold cleared.
- Students should review the course requirements for the Master and Ph.D. programs before selecting courses to enroll.
- Ph.D. students are advised to contact their faculty advisor to discuss course enrollment in Fall 2023 quarter. CS faculty contact information is available on our website.
- A list of 2023-2024 Graduate Course Offerings allows students to plan what courses they can take during the academic year.
- The online Schedule of Classes provides course information (meeting date, time, instructor, CRN, etc.)
- Students admitted with course(s) deficiency should plan to take these courses in Fall 2023 and/or Winter 2024 quarter. A request to enroll in undergraduate courses must be submitted by completing the BCOE Enrollment Assistance Form. NOTE: If you did not receive an email from the CS office about course deficiency, you do NOT need to take any course deficiency.
- BCOE Undergraduate courses (CS100-CS199): If you would like to enroll in undergraduate courses (CS100-CS199), you can submit your enrollment request via the BCOE Enrollment Assistance form after the second pass registration which starts September 11, 2023. **Do not submit multiple course requests. If undergraduate courses become full, we recommend that students have backup graduate courses ready for registration. DO NOT submit the Fall 2023 Graduate Course Enrollment form requesting to enroll in undergraduate courses (CS100-CS199). The CSE Department cannot enroll students in undergraduate courses.
- EE Course Request: If you would like to enroll in EE courses that are not listed in the Fall 2023 course enrollment form; contact the ECE Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, we cannot give permission for students to enroll in EE courses if the course is not cross listed with CS.
TRANSPORTATION & PARKING SERVICES (TAPS)
Visit Campus Transportation & Parking Services for:
RTA (Rapid Transit Agency) local Riverside bus line
Metrolink (Southern California Commuter Train) - easy access to Los Angeles, Beaches and San Diego
Other Alternative Transportation Programs
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact **TAPS**
Ontario Airport is located about 20 miles from campus; Los Angeles International Airport is about 68 miles. Various shuttle services provide 24-hour service directly from LAX or Ontario Airports to Riverside. Please check local listings for rates and availability.
Inquire at the airport for the bus service from LAX to Downtown Los Angeles Union Station. The bus service runs every hour non-stop. At Union Station, transfer by taking the Metrolink Train to Downtown Riverside. The Metrolink Riverside Line has a limited schedule, so please check the **Metrolink for their schedule to plan your trip to UCR.**
Arriving on Campus...
International students should connect with the International Student and Scholars office about arriving on campus.
Fall 2023 instruction begins September 28, 2023. The campus is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday and will be closed on Academic and Administrative Holidays Our office hours are 8:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m.-5:00 p.m. Please contact your Student Service Advisor to arrange a meeting.
Vanda Yamaguchi: PhD in CS and MS in CEN
Marisa Mendoza: MS in CS
We suggest bringing enough funds to pay for move-in costs for housing and other expenses. We estimate that your initial move-in expenses will be between $1,500 and $2,000. Please keep in mind that if you are on fellowship, your first check will be disbursed in late September for the fall quarter and at the beginning of each quarter thereafter. If you are appointed as a TA or GSR in the fall, then the first paycheck will be paid on November 1st.
ORIENTATIONS and IMPORTANT DATES
There are a series of orientation events that new graduate students are required to attend. They are as follows:
- Fall 2023 Course Registration Information Session - August 16, 2023. More information will be sent to new students as that date approaches.
- Computer Science and Engineering Department Orientation- September 22, 2023: 9:00 am to 1:00 pm PST. More information will be sent to new students as that date approaches.
- Mandatory Orientation for International Students. Visit the International Student & Scholars office to view dates.
- Graduate Division Orientation (mandatory for all new graduate students) -To be announced later this summer.
- Computer Science Technical Orientation: TBD, more information will be sent to new students.
All students are required to have medical insurance. If you received funding support through a fellowship, you will automatically be enrolled in a UCR policy and the fee for the insurance is included in your quarterly fee statement. If you have your own medical insurance and want to cancel the campus policy, you must apply for a waiver immediately. Have questions? Please contact the Student Health Services.
CAMPUS ID CARDS
Visit Card Services to find out how you can get your UCR Student ID card!
Learn more about Campus Safety Services and tools for all students online.
All graduate students are welcome to explore on campus employment opportunities at UCR Handshake
Due to limited funding, the CSE department does not award MS in CS students departmental fellowships or TA positions.
BECOME FAMILIAR WITH YOUR DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
One of the most important steps you can take prior to your arrival this fall is to familiarize yourself with your specific degree programs’ requirements. We encourage you to find the degree program you will be pursuing below and explore your specific degree requirements.